If you’re running a business, you know that marketing is vital. And if you want to create an effective marketing campaign, you need to create landing pages that convert. But what is a landing page? And how can it help your business? We will answer all of those questions in this ultimate guide and more! We’ll discuss what makes a great landing page, and we’ll give you tips on creating one that converts. So whether you’re just starting or building landing pages for years, this guide will teach you something new!
What is a landing page?
A landing page is simply a web page that someone arrives at after clicking on a link, such as an ad or search engine result. A landing page typically has one specific purpose, such as getting the visitor to sign up for a newsletter, download an ebook, or make a purchase. Landing pages are essential for businesses because they help convert website visitors into leads and customers.
A landing page offers a free product (intangible/info product). This can be in the form of a checklist, whitepaper, PDF, email series, or video series. A well-designed landing page can be the difference between making a sale and losing a customer.
How can a landing page benefit my business?
A landing page collects email addresses. Use this contact information to reach out to your prospects and begin nurturing a relationship with them.
It also helps you get to know your prospects better. First, I’d recommend only asking for their first name and email on the main page. But afterward, you can ask for more information in your emails. By collecting information about your visitors, such as their name, job title, and company size, you can create targeted lists of leads for your salespeople to contact. I’d also recommend doing surveys here and there to collect ideas for new offers.
Don’t forget analytics! A landing page helps you track your marketing campaigns. By including tracking codes on your landing pages, you can see which campaigns drive traffic and conversions. This data is essential for understanding what’s working and what isn’t so that you can adjust your marketing strategy accordingly.
How can I decide what free offer I should have on my landing page?
There are a few things to consider when choosing a free offer to include on your landing page:
– What is the one goal of your landing page?
– Who comprises your target niche?
-How do they like to digest your content?
– When are optimal times to change out your free offers? Seasonal? Holiday? Tax Season?
Once you’ve answered these questions, you should know what type of offer will be most effective on your landing page. From there, it’s just a matter of creating the offer and designing the page to make it as persuasive as possible!
How to create a landing page that converts
First, creating a landing page that converts can be challenging, but it’s doable with effort. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
1. Start with your goals. What do you want your landing page to achieve? Choose only one. I’d suggest capturing their email address. Second, you can craft persuasive copy and design the page to match once you know what you want.
If your goal is to get people to sign up for your newsletter, make sure the copy on your page speaks to the benefits. Therefore, if you want people to download an ebook, design the page to make it easy for them to do so.
Remember, keep it simple! Finally, when creating your landing page, the most important thing to keep in mind is JUST ONE GOAL. Capture their email address.
Less is more
you may be tempted to take all of your persuasive copy, features, benefits, and compelling video and put them on your landing page. Please don’t! Less is more.
However, you’ve done so much work. I don’t recommend that you toss it. Take this copy and sprinkle it into your web page and email newsletter. Don’t bombard them on the landing page. Less is more for them. They will likely take off without signing up for your gift if you overload their eyes.
Here are a few more general tips:
– Keep it focused. Don’t try to cram too much information onto your landing page. Please stick to one goal and make it as easy as possible for visitors to achieve it.
– Make it relevant. Your landing page should be relevant to the offer you’re promoting. If it’s not, people will likely leave without converting.
– Use persuasive copy. Mainly, this is your chance to sell your offer, so make sure the copy on your page is compelling and convincing.
-Keep search engine marketing in mind. A well-optimized landing page can rank on search engines, which can help you drive more traffic to your page. Second, you’ll need to include the right keywords and optimize the page for those keywords so that it appears on search engine results pages (SERPs).
-Experiment with video. Video can be an effective way (experiment!) to persuade visitors to sign up for your free offer. Finally, ensure the video is high quality and relevant to your offer, and include a call to action so that visitors know what to do.
And here are some design-related tips:
– Design with a hierarchy in mind. The essential elements on your page should be above the fold, so make sure to design your page with that in mind.
– Design from left to right. Make it easy for your visitors to get straight to the point.
– Landing pages with videos don’t always convert well. However, if you include a video, make sure it’s under 2 minutes, has captions, and a clear call to action.
– Keep it mobile-friendly. More and more people are accessing the internet on their mobile devices, so your landing page must be mobile-friendly. You’re likely losing out on visitors who won’t convert to leads if it’s not.
– Use a clear call to action. Your call-to-action should be clear and easy to spot. Otherwise, people might not know what you want them to do. I’d recommend only capturing their first name and email address and using a giant, colorful button they can’t miss.
What email newsletter companies are out there
Some of the most popular email newsletter companies include Mailchimp, Constant Contact, and AWeber. These platforms offer a wide range of features, and they’re all reasonably affordable. So, it’s worth comparing them and seeing which one is best for your business.
Mailchimp is an excellent tool for businesses of all sizes. It’s easy to use, and it allows you to track the success of your marketing campaign. Plus, it’s affordable and includes many features that other email marketing platforms don’t offer.
Some of the benefits of using Mailchimp include:
– The ability to create beautiful email newsletters
– A wide range of templates to choose from
– The ability to automate your email marketing campaigns
– Detailed reporting so you can track your campaign’s success
When someone provides their email address, they’re volunteering their contact information. And by giving a gift (helpful intangible info product) in exchange for an email address, you’re increasing the chances that they’ll provide it.
A free offer is a great way to show appreciation and build rapport with your visitors. It’s also a great way to introduce them to your brand and get them excited about what you offer.
So, if you’re looking for a way to attract traffic, convert visitors, generate leads, increase sales, and grow your business, a landing page is a great option.
Do you have a landing page now?
I’d love to help you see if your landing page is paying off. Please reach out and apply for a free consultation. I can do a landing page assessment and help you track your return on investment. This is meant to help you increase sales. If it’s not doing the job, it’s time to rethink this strategy.
Janet Johnson is a small business advisor and author of My Money Pivot: An Entrepreneur’s Guide to Finding & Making More Money and this educational blog. All views expressed belong solely to Ms. Johnson and do not represent the views of her employer.